The Faithfulness Of Jesus

Notice: My friend in “the valley” has reached an impasse. A complete train wreck so to speak of his life. I am fighting to save him. I will resume shortly.

Therefore, holy brethren, partakers of the heavenly calling,
consider the Apostle and High Priest of our confession, Christ Jesus,
who was faithful to Him who appointed Him,
as Moses also was faithful in all His house.

When I started this blog, I felt as if I was buried alive. Because of my health, I was unable to do much of anything. Fast-forward a few years and because of the spiritual exercise involved in blogging I reached a place where I was digging out of the pit. All of a sudden, my friend in “the valley” began slipping away and handed his life over to me completely. Now I was more buried than ever before.

I grew up on a farm, and I remember being amazed by the process of growth in small plants. Have you ever watched a delicate leaf dig its way up through hard soil? That struggle is what makes it into a strong and resilient crop.

I cannot imagine going through life without the faithfulness of Christ to hold me. As I yield myself to His instruction, He is consistently trustworthy and loyal to me and to His promises. And I find myself more resilient than ever.

We go into a little Old Testament history in this lesson that will help us better understand the next. The following excerpt titled “Christ and Moses” is from Andrew Murray’s classic The Holiest of All:

Moses and Aaron together represented God in Israel; the one as apostle or messenger, the other as high priest. In the person of Jesus the two offices are united. As High Priest He is merciful as Aaron; as Apostle of our profession He is faithful as Moses. Moses was the great apostle or messenger of God, the Old Testament type of Christ as prophet. He had access to God, and brought the word of God to the people.

Christ is the great Apostle or Prophet of the New Covenant. He ever spoke of Himself as the one whom the Father had sent; in Him, the Son, God speaks to us. As Apostle He is God's Representative with us, making God known to us; as High Priest, our Representative with God, bringing us into His presence.

As High Priest He stands linked to us by His mercy and compassion, as He now, having died for us, helps us in our temptation and weakness; as Apostle He pleads for God with us, and proves Himself entirely faithful to Him. We need to consider Christ Jesus, not only as a High Priest in His mercy, but as the Apostle of our profession who was faithful to Him that appointed Him, as also was Moses in all his house.

Faithfulness is trustworthiness. As we see Jesus faithful to Him who appointed Him, our faith and trust will rise into perfect and joyful assurance that He will indeed most faithfully fulfill all God's promises in us, that in us too He will be faithful as a Son over His own house. Nothing gives such strength to faith as resting on the faithfulness of Jesus. The glory of Jesus is the glory of Christianity; is the strength and glory of the Christian life.

Selah.