An Angel Of Light

“And no wonder! For Satan disguises himself as an angel of light.” 2 Corinthians 11:14

I want to focus on what Andrew Murray is teaching in our study. However something else is pressing on my heart. I suppose this is part of the process of developing my voice as a writer. Andrew Murray teaches it is the aim of the Epistle of Hebrews to make us confident of Christ’s glory and character. As part of my plan for this blog, it will be my aim, as well.

I started this blog for my daughter, to leave a blueprint that would lead her to the fullest life possible in Christ. I want her life to be strong and beautiful yet free in every biblical sense. But honestly, if cancer were to take me tomorrow, as much as I would abhor leaving her without the keys to the life Murray speaks of in our present study, something concerns me even more. That she could be deceived by “an angel of light.”

Immediately after committing my life to Christ in my early 20’s, my best friend (the same person who first shared the Bible with me) introduced me to a book that appeared heavenly. It was the most beautiful thing I had ever read. It appeared that the writer was not human but cosmically superior in knowledge. You could feel the spirit in this book, and I continued to follow it thinking it was the Spirit of the God of the Bible.

I put this book and the other books that I collected along the way on the same shelf as my new Bible. This friend also introduced me to another friend and we became close. He was the kindest man I had ever met. He believed that he was one of Jesus' original twelve disciples in a past life. He proceeded to introduce me to spirit mediums and other various New Age practices.

One day in the New Age bookstore, I came across a bible of sorts. It was written very much as the Holy Bible. I read a segment describing Jesus as just a man that had been fitted by temptations that He had overcome. And that Mary was not a virgin. Thankfully, I knew enough to know this was not true.

I began to seek God for answers and He moved swiftly. I met a man from out of town that took a strong interest in me. He flew me to a Christian village of 2000 acres containing churches; stores; restaurants; entertainment; hotels; and campgrounds all filled with Christians seeking God.

My new friend bought me several books that proceeded to deprogram me from the false system I had been exposed to. I will never forget the preacher who warned me privately that my battle to part with the darkness was not going to be easy.

I was re-baptized as part of my new commitment and when I got home there was a letter from my New Age friend dated the very day of my baptism saying he'd had a dream and "he knew our spirits parted and he would not see me again.” This proved to me the evidence of the spirit world that we cannot see.

For the past 25 years, Jesus has stayed by my side making me aware of His presence and faithfully leading me out of the darkness. Sometimes what appears to be holy is not, even in the Body of Christ. Familiarity gives me a warning.

The best way to know what is not of the Spirit is to know what is. Next time we will focus on the final segment from chapter IV of Andrew Murray's book The Holiest of All titled, “The Son - The Glory Of His Work.”