To The Lamb, Forever

The book was given to me this week Biblical Theology in the Life of the Church: A Guide for Ministry. This quote stood out to me:

A biblical anthropology begins with humans created in the image of God in order to worship God by reflecting back to him his glory through their lives (Gen. 1:26–28). Therefore, we are not finally defined by either our behavior or our thoughts. Rather, we are defined by who we worship. We are fundamentally worshipers, and our identity is defined by what or who we are reflecting.

This got me thinking about the definition of worship. I found this in Easton’s Bible Dictionary:

Worship is homage rendered to God which it is sinful (idolatry) to render to any created being (Exodus 34:14; Isaiah 2:8). Such worship was refused by Peter (Acts 10:25 Acts 10:26) and by an angel (Revelation 22:8 Revelation 22:9).

To elaborate on what exactly homage means: Homage is a show of reverence and respect; especially putting another’s interest first (in this case God). It also means deference, which includes submission to the judgment, opinion, or wishes of another (again, God). It includes high esteem, admiration, and awe.

Obviously, worship is a lifestyle. However, it can also be a powerful source of strength. Something happens when we praise and worship God, especially when we are going through a difficult time. When we are able to praise Him no matter what the circumstance, He responds. (See Acts 16)

If you have frequented this blog you know, I love to praise and worship God. In the song below Chris Tomlin is pointing to the passage in Revelation 4 and 5 where you see the angels and all the creatures gathering around the throne of God in celebration, singing in a loud voice, “Worthy is the Lamb.” One day we will stand before this very throne, forever. 

Here is one of my favorite verses from Revelation 5:13:

I heard every creature in heaven, on earth, under the earth, on the sea, and everything in them say: Blessing and honor and glory and dominion to the One seated on the throne, and to the Lamb, forever and ever!





I Will Rise
By Chris Tomlin
Lyrics

There’s a peace I’ve come to know
Though my heart and flesh may fail
There’s an anchor for my soul
I can say, “it is well”

Jesus has overcome
And the grave is overwhelmed
The victory is won
He is risen from the dead

I will rise when He calls my name
No more sorrow, no more pain
I will rise on eagles’ wings
Before my God, fall on my knees
And rise
I will rise

There’s a day that’s drawing near
When this darkness breaks to light
And the shadows disappear
And my faith shall be my eyes

And I hear the voice of many angels sing, “worthy is the Lamb”
And I hear the cry of every longing heart, “worthy is the Lamb