The Truth Shall Make You Free


“IN THE beginning [before all time] was the Word (Christ), and the Word was with God, and the Word was God Himself.” John 1:1 Amplified Bible

The first time I read this, I was stunned. Does this really mean the Word is Christ?

I found this decent explanation in Wikipedia:

In Christology, the concept that the Christ is the Logos (Greek: Λόγος for "word", "discourse" or "reason") has been important in establishing the doctrine of the divinity of Jesus Christ and his position as God the Son in the Trinity as set forth in the Chalcedonian Creed.

The concept derives from the opening of the Gospel of John, which is often simply translated into English as: "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God." In the translations, "Word" is used for Logos (λόγος), but in theological discourse, this is often left untranslated.

I was on a quest for freedom. I owned nearly every Bible study written on freedom in Christ. However, I was too weak to absorb most of what was taught. Thankfully, I have owned an Amplified Bible for 25 years. There is somewhat of a commentary built into the text of the Amplified. Each day I could sit down with my Bible, and I was convinced that Christ would lead me to freedom.

This is one of my favorite scripture verses on freedom in Christ, “So Jesus said to those Jews who had believed in Him, If you abide in My word [hold fast to My teachings and live in accordance with them], you are truly My disciples. And you will know the Truth, and the Truth will set you free.” John 8:31-32 Amplified Bible

At this point in my journey, I put aside all my books and I began to adopt more study Bibles and commentaries. While I am not a Charismatic, Jack Hayford was one of the first teachers that I was exposed to, mostly through Stormie Omartian (author of the series of Power of Praying books). He was her first pastor and was a great influence on her life and ministry.

I found this commentary on John 8:32 in the Spirit Filled Life Student Bible (Executive Editor Jack Hayford)::

When people discover the truth in Jesus Christ, they are always set free emotionally, psychologically, and spiritually. While religion may confuse and oppress, God’s truth always produces freedom, wholeness, and positive growth.

The difference between authentic biblical Christianity (and a living relationship with Jesus Christ) and cults is that real Christianity creates free people. Sin, or a violation of God’s Word, enslaves people; but truth sets them free.

It goes on to say:

The word know (Greek: ginosko) means ‘to perceive’, to understand’, ‘to realize’, that knowing biblical truth is different from just intellectual or mystical knowledge. It is a knowing in the heart that transforms the human personality and causes a change in a person’s behavior. This is because people can only know truth by practicing it.

In the same article from Wikipedia as above, the following idea came from an article in Christianity today:

Theologian, N.T. Wright, characterizes ‘Word’ (logos) as being incomprehensible in human language. He claims that through belief the Logos will transform people with its judgment and mercy.

And this my friends is precisely how it is done.

Selah.