The Blessedness Of Doing


“But the one who looks intently into the perfect law of freedom and perseveres in it, and is not a forgetful hearer but one who does good works--this person will be blessed in what he does.” 
James 1:25

When I first started this study on the word “perfect” in the biblical sense, quite honestly, it overwhelmed me. I was going through a particularly difficult time with my healthcare and did not have the strength to begin to fathom the ideas I was uncovering.

I was also a little intimidated by the subject considering that throughout history this has been a subject of great debate. However, I simply could not resist the in-depth pursuit of the scriptures in detail.

To say that I am thankful that I did would be quite an understatement. I am beginning to understand the emphasis and the necessity of this study and its relevance to our freedom in Christ.

First, I want to share a simply beautiful illustration by A. Maclaren, D. D., and titled The Blessedness of Doing (from James 1:25): 

To have the heart in close communion with the very Fountain of all good, and the will in harmony with the will of the best Beloved; to hear the Voice that is dearest of all, ever saying, "This is the way, walk ye in it"; to know "a Spirit in my feet" impelling me upon that road; to know that all my petty deeds are made great, and my stained offerings hallowed by the altar on which they are honoured to lie and to feel fellowship with the Friend of my soul increased by obedience; this is to taste the keenest joy and good of life, and he who is thus "blessed in his deed" need never fear that that blessedness shall be taken away, nor sorrow though other joys be few and griefs be many.

Finally, I would like to present a portion of commentary on the biblical context of the words “PERFECT; PERFECTION” written by W. L. Walker, titled The Christian Ideal that pretty much sums it up:

Perfection is the Christian ideal and aim, but inasmuch as that which God has set before us is infinite "Ye therefore shall be perfect, as your heavenly Father is perfect" (Matthew 5:48) absolute perfection must be forever beyond, not only any human, but any finite, being; it is a divine ideal forever shining before us, calling us upward, and making endless progression possible. … the perfect man, in the Old Testament phrase, was the man whose heart was truly or wholly devoted to God.

Christian perfection must also have its seat in such a heart, but it implies the whole conduct and the whole man, conformed thereto as knowledge grows and opportunity arises, or might be found.

There may be, of course, a relative perfection, e.g. of the child as a child compared with that of the man.

The Christian ought to be continually moving onward toward perfection, looking to Him who is able to "make you perfect in every good thing (or work) to do His will, working in us that which is well-pleasing in His sight, through Jesus Christ to whom be the glory forever and ever. Amen" (Hebrews 13:21).