The Word Sets You Free

I know all too well what it means to not be free. I grew up in an alcoholic home. I went through a divorce while I was pregnant with my only child because my husband was physically abusive.

When my daughter was born I read a story that made me realize how badly I did not want her to grow up the way I did. I asked God to show me how to give her a better life and I dedicated her to His care.

She never met her biological father. I raised her with the belief that God would be her Father. One-step at a time, as I read the Bible, went to church, and read books He showed me the way.

When she was in elementary school, she won the award for being the best student in the Dare to Keep Your Kids off Drugs program.

When she graduated from high school, she received an award chosen by the faculty for the one student out of the class (over 300) who displayed the citizenship, community, and common sense characteristics that make them a quality individual.

She just graduated from college, Summa Cum Laude (with highest honors), a first generation college student. She is a beautiful young woman, full of virtue.

I give all praise to God for her abilities. I could not have raised her to her full potential without His Word, His power, His Spirit working through me. Transforming not just our lives, but our bloodline as well.

This comment from the Spirit Filled Life Student Bible was one of my original inspirations for this blog:

God is a good God, and He has a good plan for us. When we read His Word, we find in it a handbook for life. The Word of God can be heavy and serious; it can convict us of our sins and press us to our limits, but it can also give us hope and reason for rejoicing. As we put God’s Word into practice, we are freed through our obedience to be all God wants us to be (Romans 8:1-8).

Hebrews 4:12 teaches us that ‘the Word of God is living and powerful.’ The Word of God is charged with supernatural energy, because the Spirit works with the Word to inspire faith (Romans 10:17). When it is read and we obey it, it can both heal and cleanse us.

The Bible is a powerful and liberating force that sets people free at every dimension of life when they live by its instruction. As people get the chance to read it and understand what it means through practicing its teachings, they are moved by divine possibilities.

Selah.